Make your own spreadable dairy-free ‘butter’ with a few simple ingredients. There are so many butter substitutes available these days, but they aren’t always accessible (Hi, rural America), and often expensive and sometimes full of unnecessary additions.
Caveat: this is meant more for toast, vegetables, and as a topping. It’s not really meant as a substitute for butter in cooking or baking recipes. The ratio of saturated fat to fat will most likely throw your recipe off. If you experiment though, I’d love to hear!
It’s time to churn, folks! And with no cost to the cows. Take this recipe and run with it–add herbs, spices, fancy salts, and believe in the power of homemade.
Dairy-Free Butter Spread
- 5 Tablespoons Refined coconut oil Solid state
- 1.25 Tablespoons Water Room temp
- 1/3 Cup Neutral oil Sunflower or Grapeseed are great
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sea salt More/less to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1/8 Teaspoon Turmeric For color
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. With whisk attachment, beat on medium speed for about 3-5 minutes, until it looks like custard.
- Pour into container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until firm but spreadable.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator. Butter will remain spreadable, even after chilled.
Turmeric adds color but is optional.
Start with a small amount of salt and add more based on taste!
Do not use this as a substitute for butter in recipes as the ratio of total fat to saturated fat will not sub well.
Pin these + share the dairy-free butter love:
[yellow_box]Make this recipe? Post a pic + tag as #cloverlush on Instagram [/yellow_box]